Congratulations to everyone involved in the recent production of Shadow of a Gunman co produced by the Abbey and Lyric Theatres. The production has received five nominations for Irish Times Irish Theatre Awards.
The nominees are,
- Best Director, Wayne Jordan
- Best Actor, Mark O’Halloran (Donal Davoren)
- Best Supporting Actress, Amy McAllister (Minnie Powell)
- Best Costume Design, Sarah Bacon
- Best Set Design, Sarah Bacon
It is lovely to see this production recognised. The whole field of nominees is very strong pointing to a good year in dramatic arts. It is also good to see the Waking The Feminists movement recognised in a Judges’ special award for Lian Bell.
The Abbey Theatre and The Lyric Theatre’s co-production of The Shadow of a Gunman is running on the Abbey Stage in Dublin until the 1st of August.
Wayne Jordan’s production, starring Mark O’Halloran, Amy McAllister and David Ganly, has received an enthusiastic reception.
- “High theatrical energy is kept aloft by the colourful parade of O’Casey’s tenement dwellers, and equally the parade of O’Casey’s brilliant writing talent.”
- “Nothing is more absurd in O’Casey’s 1923 play than the notion that art couldbe indifferent to politics. Set just three years earlier, itsnear-vaudevillian succession of intrusions leading towards something more shattering, was first performed during a vicious Civil War. It was a dangerous weapon itself, a tragedy played for laughs.”
- “The drama packs a punch… as O’Casey reminds us ‘it’s the civilians who suffer’.”
- “All poses have dropped away, and this impressively lucid production leaves us with the question: what would we have done in his place?”
Book now online or contact the Abbey Theatre box office at, 0035-3187 87222.
The Abbey Theatre has announced its forthcoming co production of The Shadow of a Gunman with the Lyric Theatre Belfast. The production will run from Friday, 12 June 2015 to Saturday, 1 August 2015.
The production will be directed by Wayne Jordan and feature Mark O’Halloran as Donal Davoren, David Ganly as Seamus Shields and Amy McAllister as Minnie Powell.
Tickets are available via the Abbey Theatre. Buy online now.